The Homes of Niagara
From country estates to historic houses, the Niagara Region has some of the most elegant and desirable homes in Canada.
Whether you are looking for a country retreat, a vacation home, or a retirement villa, Niagara has plenty to offer.
Pristine parkland, flower gardens, lakeside vistas and winding vineyards dot the coastline while the best of Niagara’s restaurants provide culinary delicacies fitting to the ambience of their delightful surroundings.
Just two hours from Toronto, Niagara Region offers the perfect blend of sophisticated urban living and the beauty and tranquillity of the countryside.
Nestled in the rolling countryside between Grimsby and Niagara on the Lake and protected by the ridges on the Niagara Escarpment are the wineries of the Niagara Peninsula. Home to over 50 wineries, winemaker’s and their staff welcome you to discover the traditions that bring international acclaim to their outstanding wines.
Renowned internationally for single-handedly revitalizing and re-energizing the works of George Bernard Shaw, the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake is the only theatre in the world dedicated exclusively to plays by Shaw and his contemporaries.
With some of the best restaurants in Canada, the region has become known as the home of “Niagara Cuisine.” The chefs of Niagara focus on fresh regional produce to match the offerings from the local vineyards. Niagara cuisine is truly fusion food with unique twists and wine country influences.
With more than forty golf courses of all types, sizes, shapes and descriptions, Niagara is one of Canada’s premier golf destinations.
One of the first areas to be settled in Canada, the Niagara Region is rich in history. Niagara on the Lake, for a short time the capital of Upper Canada, is now a designated historic site with the best-preserved collection of early 19th century residential, commercial, ecclesiastical and institutional buildings in Canada.
The Sights and the Communities
The Niagara Region is one of the world’s greatest tourist destinations, attracting more than 12 million visitors a year.
Nestled between Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and the Niagara River, the area features the backdrop of the majestic Niagara escarpment. And while Niagara Falls may be the area’s most famous natural attraction, it is just one of areas many features and visitor destinations.
The region includes 12 distinct and vibrant communities, all just a short drive from one another — Fort Erie, Grimsby, Lincoln, Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Pelham, Port Colbourne, St. Catharines, Thorold, Wainfleet, Welland and West Lincoln. Each of these communities offers its’ unique offerings and charm.
Getting In and Out
The region has a number of small municipal and private airports. The Niagara District Airport is located in the heart of the region, ideally positioned for both business and tourists. Buffalo Niagara International Airport, just 45 minutes away, serves most major U.S. cities. Pearson International, two hours away by car, is the gateway to Canadian and international destinations.
Carriage Trade Homes
The Niagara Region has a large selection of carriage trade homes ranging from country estates to historic riverside homes.
As of April 2012, there are 56 properties on offer at more than a million dollars. Here’s a sampling:
- Welland: Over 5,000 sq. feet make this home a rare find, fronting on over 1000’ of water, this home is the perfect location and setting for the most discriminating buyer. Two oversized outbuildings, a five-plus car attached garage with 1000 sq. ft. loft and 75 acres of peace and tranquility. The house boasts 4 bedrooms, 3 full baths, all rooms oversized, a 1000 sq ft loft and a 1000 sq ft. workshop. $1,200,000.
- Pelham: Beautiful mixed farming operation on 26+ acres of rolling sandy loam. Large comfy family home with 3 bedrooms, looking out over farm. Set up for a roadside fruit market. Greenhouse, packing room, shop. Seller will assist with operation and transition. Crops – strawberries/raspberries, melons, sweet peppers, corn, tomato. $1,100,000.
- St Catharines: Contemporary & elegant, this custom blt 500+ sq. ft. brick bungalow is nestled on 1.67 acres and conveniently located on the brink of the escarpment, close to all amenities. This estate home offers complete privacy with city conveniences, yet a feel of country atmosphere. Lushly landscaped, ravine backdrop, private yare with in-ground pool. Panoramic views from any angle. Main floor.9’ ceilings; 6 bedrooms, 3 baths. $1,450.000.
- Port Colborne: One of the finest century old waterfronts on historic Tennessee Ave, enhanced by rolling lawns extended to a private beach side, extensively refurbished inside & out with spectacular 2 story vaulted beamed ceilings & skylights, tone gas fireplace in great room, gourmet kitchen. Master bedroom with ensuite, separate dressing room and private balcony overlooking lakeside. $1,200.000
- Niagara-on-the-Lake: 1.99 acre estate has been home to prominent families, senators and Supreme Court Judges over the last 100 years. Beautiful English gardens and called one of the best examples of a southern-style Colonial revival mansion in Niagara. $3,988,800.
For expert advice about buying or selling a Carriage Trade luxury property, contact your local Royal LePage real estate agent.