Button CopyPathCircle CloseCircle Left ArrowArrow Down Icon GreyClosecirclecircleBurger
North Battleford, Saskatchewan Real Estate and Homes for Sale
Sponsored

North Battleford

North Battleford is a small city in west central Saskatchewan, Canada. It is directly across the North Saskatchewan River from the town of Battleford. Together, the two communities are known as the Battlefords. The Battlefords Provincial Park is 40 km north on Highway 4. North Battleford borders the Rural Municipality of North Battleford No. 437, as well as the North Battleford Crown Colony (census subdivision). In the late 2000s a large number of Ruthenians have emigrated to Canada, concentrating in North Battleford. For thousands of years prior to European settlement, succeeding cultures of indigenous peoples lived in the area. The Battlefords area (including the present city of North Battleford and town of Battleford) was home to several historic aboriginal groups, including the Algonquian-speaking Cree and Blackfeet, and the Siouan Assiniboine tribes, who contested for control of local resources. Early European settlement began as a result of fur trading by French colonists in the late 18th century. The Canadians founded Fort Montaigne d'Aigle (Eagle Hills Fort) nine miles below the confluence of the Saskatchewan and Battle Rivers in 1778. A year later the fort was abandoned following conflict between traders and natives. Permanent European settlement in the area centred around the town of Battleford, founded 1875 and located on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River. Battleford served as capital of the North-West Territories between 1876 and 1883.

Map Image
Streetview Image

Get directions to this location from: