Button CopyPathCircle CloseCircle Left ArrowArrow Down Icon GreyClosecirclecircleBurger
Moosomin, Saskatchewan Real Estate and Homes for Sale
Advertising

Moosomin

Moosomin is a town in southern Saskatchewan founded in 1882.With the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1882, Moosomin was established as the first Saskatchewan community on "steel". Originally known as "siding No. 4" and the "Moosomin Station", businesses began to establish and by 1884 the community had grown to include five general stores, five hotels, two livery stables, two blacksmiths, a doctor, a lawyer, butcher, and one printer, among other businesses. Moosomin was incorporated as a town in November 1887. R. D. McNaughton was the first merchant to arrive in Moosomin. He founded the R. D. McNaughton Company, a general store operation that played a vital role in early settlement.The town was named after Chief Moosomin, who became well known for leading his band into treaty status. He signed Treaty 6 at Battleford in 1880.Moosomin had several military units that were associated with the community. These included the 16th Light Horse, in the early 1900s (decade); 10th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 1915; 217th Battalion, CEF, and the 101st Battery of the 22nd Field Regiment which was based at Moosomin Armories (presently the Community Hall). Moosomin also had a jail, the Moosomin Gaol, which is located at the site of the present day Turpie Farm. In 1905, a hospital opened, and it was the only hospital between Brandon and Indian Head. A normal school was opened, and before this time it served as the home of the Legislative Assembly for the District of Assiniboia. The first issue of the local newspaper was published October 2, 1884, and the Moosomin World-Spectator is the oldest weekly newspaper in Saskatchewan.One of Moosomin's more notables is General Andrew McNaughton, born in Moosomin in 1887. In the Second World War, he commanded Canada's overseas army and then became Minister of Defence. In the interwar years he was Chairman of the National Research Council and following the Second World War was Chairman of the International Joint Commission which handled questions pertaining to the international waters along the Canada-United States border.

Map Image
Streetview Image

Get directions to this location from: