Green Lake is a village in Saskatchewan, Canada. Its residents are predominantly Métis people.Green Lake is located northeast of Meadow Lake, and northwest of Big River. It lies in the southern boreal forest, and takes its name from nearby Green Lake.Fishing, tourism, and farming, are the major industries.The Northern Village of Green Lake dates back to 1782, when the North West Company (NWC) established a wintering post on Green Lake. In 1793 the NWC established a permanent post, and in 1810 the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) established itself on the lake. In 1816-1817, the NWC seized the HBC post and its men, however a HBC post was re-established by 1818, and in 1821 the two companies merged. Shortly after the merger, the Green Lake post was closed for several years, reopening in 1831, and continuing operation until 1973. The Green Lake post was an important post in north-central Saskatchewan, connecting many overland trails with the Churchill River.By the mid 19th century, missionaries had established the Roman Catholic Church in Green Lake. In 1876 Treaty 6, was signed, and soon after settlers began moving into the area. Natives were allowed to join Treaty 6, or had the option of taking scrip. During the North-West Rebellion the HBC store in Green Lake was ransacked by Cree from Frog Lake.
Royal LePage has complete real estate listings across Canada. Use the search box to find a home or click a listing below to view Canadian homes for sale.