Button CopyPathCircle CloseCircle Left ArrowArrow Down Icon GreyClosecirclecircleBurger
Sainte-Agathe-Des-Monts, Quebec Real Estate and Homes for Sale
Advertising

Sainte-Agathe-Des-Monts

Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts is a town in the province of Quebec in the regional county municipality of Les Laurentides, in the administrative region of Laurentides, also known as the "Laurentians" or the Laurentian Mountains (in English). Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts borders on a lake called Lac des Sables, and is located approximately 100 kilometres north of Montreal.The town has been twinned with Lagny-sur-Marne, France since 1969 and Saranac Lake, New York since 2002.On February 27, 2002, Sainte-Agathe-Nord and Ivry-sur-le-Lac merged with Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts to form an expanded city; however Ivry-sur-le-Lac later demerged in 2006.In 1849, the first families arrived on the northern fringe of the area, a settlement established by Augustin Norbert Morin.Beginning in 1850, a rapid colonization of the region began. The arriving families were primarily of French Catholic background. The village itself is centred around a Catholic church built in 1904. In 1865, the land on which the church stands was donated to the parish by Dr. Euseble Larocque, brother of the Monsignor. Dr. Larocque had amassed a fortune in the California Gold Rush and had decided to live the life of a seigneur. He bought several farms around Lac à la Truite (Trout Lake) and area but was too kind-hearted to ask for the rents. There is also a smaller Anglican church, "Holy Trinity Anglican Parish", in the town. In 1926 the Lord Bishop of the Anglican Church of Montreal presided over the dedication of the current building. The English Protestant community grew from the time the train first arrived in 1892.

Map Image
Streetview Image

Get directions to this location from:

Search Homes for Sale in Neighbourhoods in and around Sainte-Agathe-Des-Monts