Thorne is an unincorporated community within the unincorporated township of Poitras, in the Canadian province of Ontario. It is located in the census division of Nipissing District. A designated place served by a local services board, the community had a population of 254 in the Canada 2006 Census.Thorne is located at the northernmost end of Highway 63, just across the Ottawa River from Témiscaming, Quebec. It is also situated 63 km northeast of North Bay.As early as 1942 a number of squatters had established themselves on CIP (Canadian International Paper) property on the Ontario side of the Ottawa River. The small grouping of houses would eventually took the name of Thorneville after C.B. Thorne, a Norwegian born engineer and technical director in charge of building the paper mill for the Riordon Pulp and Paper Co. between 1917-20. After the Second World War owing to a lack of housing lots within the company town site at Temiscaming, CIP decided to establish a secondary town site on the Ontario shore of the river. The company surveyed and serviced housing lots which it then sold to the public. In 1948 town site was built and the homes were privately owned unlike those at Temiscaming where the CIP still retained ownership of most of the town.Although Thorne is a modern town site, the first residents to the area came be traced back to the 1870s when a depot farm was established to cater to the regions numerous lumber camps. The surrounding valley contains mostly poor rocky soil, however some good farm land was available approximately 3 km inland. Situated on steep slope, The Farm, as residents call the Boyce place, supplied fresh produce, meat, diary and hay to the camps. The farm contained a number of families until it was abandoned during the 1950s.It supplied goods to temiskaming by the Boyce clan from around 1900 to 1946.The first Ed Boyce then his brother James then his two sons Eldon and Gorden all originating in Manotick and North Gower Ontario and thru time all went back.Thorne has Containing a healthy mix of Francophones and Anglophones the small village quickly rooted itself. In 1956 Thorne counted 401 residents, 416 in 1961 and maintained this figure for three decades as it still counted 425 residents in 1980. However by 1990 Thorne's population had dropped to 230 residents. The decline in population is mostly attributed to the large retired population and smaller family units. Though in recent years younger families have been relocating to community.