Button CopyPathCircle CloseCircle Left ArrowArrow Down Icon GreyClosecirclecircleBurger
Greater Napanee, Ontario Real Estate and Homes for Sale
Sponsored

Greater Napanee

The town of Greater Napanee is the county seat of Lennox and Addington County in Southeastern Ontario, Canada, and is approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi) west of Kingston. It is located on the eastern end of the Bay of Quinte. The present municipality known as Greater Napanee was created by amalgamating the old Town of Napanee with the townships of Adolphustown, North and South Fredericksburgh, and Richmond in 1999. Greater Napanee is co-extensive with the original Lennox County.The town is home to the Allan Macpherson House, an historic 1826 property, and current-day museum. Macpherson was major of the Lennox Militia, operated the town's grist and saw mills as well as the distillery and general store. He served as post master and land agent, operated the first local printing press and helped fund the estabalishment of many local schools and churches. The home sits on the banks of the Napanee River, which runs through the town.The largest employer is a Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company plant. Napanee is also home to the headquarters to Dixie Lee Fried Chicken.The main streets are Dundas Street (east-west) and Centre Street (north-south). Dundas Street is part of former Provincial Highway Number Two, also known as Kingston Road, and travels through downtown from Toronto in the west and onward to Kingston in the east. Centre Street travels through the centre of the town from the modern commercial area close to Highway 401 to the downtown and onwards (as County Road 8) to rural townships south of the town.The area was originally settled by Loyalists in 1784 and was first incorporated in 1854. The first Loyalists settlers arrived at Adolphustown on June 15, 1784. Their landing spot and site of the first Loyalist cemetery in the area has been preserved by the Loyalists. The original hamlet of Napanee was located at the site of a waterfall on the Napanee River, and was first known as Clarksville after Robert Clark, who built a grist mill there. Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister, practised law in Napanee.

Map Image
Streetview Image

Get directions to this location from: