Front Of Yonge
Front of Yonge is a township in the Canadian province of Ontario, located within Leeds and Grenville United Counties. The township had a population of 2,639 in the Canada 2001 Census.The township comprises the communities of Ballycanoe, Caintown, Mallorytown, Mallorytown Landing, McIntosh Mills, Trevelyan and Yonge Mills.Largest settlement area of the township is the Village of Mallorytown, founded by United Empire Loyalist Nathaniel Mallory. He came ashore at Mallorytown Landing in 1784, and later moved inland in search of better farmland. This village is the site of Canada's first glassworks factory, which began in 1839, and closed in 1840. Only a few pieces of Mallorytown glass still exist, the most famous being the "Mallorytown Pitcher' which is on display at the Royal Ontario Museum. A reproduction of this piece is currently on display at the Mallory Coach House, an 1850's stone home which has been renovated and is open to visitors on weekends during the spring and summer months.On the St. Lawrence River and location of the Visitor Centre for St. Lawrence Islands National Park, which consists of several ecologically important mainland properties and more than 20 islands between Kingston and Brockville. Established in 1904 as the first Canadian national park east of the Rockies, it is also the smallest of the national parks.