Button CopyPathCircle CloseCircle Left ArrowArrow Down Icon GreyClosecirclecircleBurger
Rexton, Richibucto, New Brunswick Real Estate and Homes for Sale
Advertising

Rexton, Richibucto, New Brunswick Real Estate and Homes for Sale

Rexton is a Canadian village in Kent County, New Brunswick.Situated on the Richibucto River, the village was originally inhabited by Mi'kmaqs, many of whose descendants still reside in the nearby Elsipogtog First Nation, formerly referred to as the Big Cove Band. Acadian settlers colonized the general area in the 18th century, in places such as Bouctouche, Miramichi and Richibucto Village.The first English-speaking settler was Thomas Powel who arrived in 1790, there was considerable colonization by English Ship-builders, Scottish Merchants and Irish Immigrants followed including many Irish Protestants who arrived to work in the Jardine Shipbuilding Yards around the year 1819 and they eventually cleared enough land to receive land grants following the 1820s survey by a Mr. Layton conducted around the Molus River area of nearby Weldford Parish, New Brunswick and the size of Elsipogtog First Nation was reduced to the current boundaries.Two ships brought the majority of the settlers here from Scotland. One being the Dickies, captained by Simon Graham. The other was the Isabella, sailed by Captain Thomas Carruthers.Fishing, lumbering and shipbuilding flourished throughout the 19th century. The first bridge over the Richibucto River was completed there in 1850, improving commerce and communications in the region.

Map Image
Streetview Image

Get directions to this location from: