Button CopyPathCircle CloseCircle Left ArrowArrow Down Icon GreyClosecirclecircleBurger
Westlock, Alberta Real Estate and Homes for Sale
Sponsored

Westlock

Westlock is a town in central Alberta, Canada. Founded in 1913, the town is primarily an agricultural, business, and government administration centre serving communities and rural areas within surrounding Westlock County.Westlock is located approximately 85 km (53 mi) north of Edmonton, Alberta's provincial capital and Canada's sixth largest census metropolitan area. Westlock sits at the junction of Highway 44 and Highway 18. It is surrounded by Westlock County within Census Division 13.Westlock lies on the Alberta plain, one of the Great Plains. It lies just to the north of the continental divide between the Athabasca and North Saskatchewan river basins, and to the east of the Pembina River, a tributary of the Athabasca. The town is about 670 metres (2,200 ft) above mean sea level. Westlock sits within the humid continental climate zone, on the northern edge of the aspen parkland belt, a once heavily treed region that was cleared for agriculture at the turn of the 20th century. It is a relatively fertile region of dark soils. To the north lies the subarctic climate zone. The mean annual precipitation averaged from one meteorological station within the county measured 468 millimetres (mm), based on data from 1980 to 1990. The mean annual temperature averaged 1.9°C, with the mean monthly temperature reaching a high of 16.8°C in July, and dropping to a low of -11.4°C in January.Prior to European settlement, the area around Westlock was inhabited by First Nations people, notably the Cree. Although the fur trade had been active in Alberta since 1754 when Anthony Henday explored the area, the Westlock district was not mentioned in writing until David Thompson came through in April 1799.White settlement did not begin until 1902 at that time centred around a rural community about 5 km (3.1 mi) east of present-day Westlock. The founder's name was Edgson, but this was considered too hard to pronounce. Edson, Alberta already existed, so the site was called Edison by its Irish-Canadian founders, after the American inventor Thomas Edison. The community in 1912 consisted of a total of no more than 13 buildings: a harness shop, a blacksmith shop, several homes, two churches, and one family living in a tent. There was also a post office but this was closed in 1911 when Conservative Party came to power and fired many Liberals from the postal service. In 1911 the railway reached nearby Clyde to the east, and in 1912 the E.D. & B.C. Railway (later the Northern Alberta Railway, now part of CN) mapped a new townsite where Westlock now stands to the west. Edison was now caught between the two. In 1914, the Methodist church building was picked up and moved down the road to Westlock, an indication of the new settlement's ascendancy over the older one.

Map Image
Streetview Image

Get directions to this location from: